Thursday, June 7, 2007

'Cause I Said So

Oh, how I hated hearing that from my Mom when I was little. I always thought I'd never say that to my kids. Ha! Right! Now I have a 4 yr old!! :) And that kid thinks he deserves an explanation for everything. I just told Ty and Zach to please leave the kitchen. Zach's almost 2 and very sweet (and not mine...that usually is a factor!). He just ran right off into the living room to play. Not Tyler. He stood right there in the doorway..."Why?? I wanna play in here. Whyyy?" Yep, you already know my response: "Cause I said so." Sure, there were real and valid reasons why they shouldn't be in the kitchen playing. But I just didn't think that was one of the moments that he needed to hear the list of them!

Frustrated with me, Tyler turned and left. I paused there in my kitchen and thanked God for a Mom who said that to me on occasion while I was growing up. It wasn't always her answer to me. But I think it's an answer children need to get used to from time to time. I think having to learn that lesson- that sometimes Mom just knew best- has helped me to believe that same truth about God. Unlike the boundaries we place around our children, the things the Lord requires of us often cause real emotional turmoil. It's amazing, though, how we can find comfort in that old familiar answer...and believe, really know, that our Heavenly Father has good and perfect reasons. His boundaries and requirements are always placed on us with His loving hand and for His eternal glory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blogs are soooo cute! I love to see how wonderful you're doing and how great your family is. I enjoy reading about you even though we never really talk much. Busy lives, I know. :) Well, I know you have the role of "mom" now but if you ever wanna have dinner or get together call me. I work full-time and finishing up my master's but I'll be sure to squeeze ya in. Love ya and miss you!

Unknown said...

That Ty is something else! I have a crazy feeling Garrett will be just like him! I'm so not ready to have to start saying things like cuz i said so or I'll give you something to cry about...man i hated that one. guess its just how it is. it is a tough lesson though....learning that your parent knows best!