Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Death, Not Success

"I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds."
- John 12:24

The goal of the Christian life is death, not success.
..................................................................

That was the verse and first line of the devotional I read this morning. It weighs heavy on my heart as I think of how selfish I am. I don't face a desire for success in the way a lot of you do. I don't work outside the home, so it's not that I'm striving for success through recognition or wealth. But I have to learn to die to myself in other ways that you may not face. They are personal and painful ways, and sharing the details wouldn't uplift you in any way that I can think of. So I'll be transparent in the pain and struggle rather than in the issues themselves.

I think the success I long for is way too selfish. It's the kind that makes me feel good. It's self-serving. It's not worth anything at all when I line it up with the cross. I have the opportunity today, just like every day, to let that longing die. What matters most to me? Am I willing to lay everything at His feet? To let it all go? To seek my own death rather than my selfish fulfillment? Man, that's hard. I think it's harder for me these days than it has been in a long, long time. Thankfully, I'm also more equipped for it than ever before.

He knows what our struggles are. He gives us everything we need in order to choose death. He IS everything we need to make right choices. He is worth the painful, daily realignment of our hearts. Christ gave His life for us, for the glory of His Father. What are we willing to sacrifice?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm...i'm curious. good post though. i am in the business world and havent until now ever received any type of fullfillment at work so i guess there is a struggle there.

MADDIE said...

OK-- Was this post for me?? WHEW that is a big struggle for me lots of the time. The selfish desires of my own heart....let me count them all!!! It is such a balancing act sometimes--more successful+more money=more freedom to give, go on mission trips, and help reach the lost. That is often my justification! But, I think the way we/I have to put this in perspective--what is truly our motive?? My opinion--if it ultimately brings glory to His name then go for it!!! If I am totally honest about it--I often find myself doing just the opposite of that and trying to fulfill my own selfish desires!!

That was deep--I don't even know if it made any sense!