Monday, April 9, 2007

Doesn't he just look like trouble?

He's sneaky and defiant...and currently this Mommy's greatest challenge!! And it doesn't help that I apparently have less than half a brain! Well, less than a third of one yesterday. With 3 normally intelligent adults in the very same room, Tony managed to celebrate Easter by slicing his chubby little baby hand open on a metal trash can!!! Hellloooo?! I know, what kind of mother (or other 2 nameless relatives!) lets her kid play with a metal trash can?! Please don't report me! I'm pretty sure it was one of those popcorn tins you get at Christmastime turned trash can. Anyhow, he was pushing it around and fell. The dumb thing popped apart at the seam and sliced him right open. There was blood. I'm not good with blood. Not when it's coming out of my child! And it was enough to drip all over the floor as Steve carried him to the sink so my Dad could cover it with something. Blood. Dripping blood. Blood soaking quickly through the paper towels. I was freaked! Poor little man. I said, "It's okay, Tony. It's okay...OH NO, Daaaaad, it's so NOT okay!!" Yeah, I'm sure I was helping my child feel way better about the situation!

Sooo...we spent a couple of hours at the ER yesterday, without insurance on top of that! Thank God, though, it didn't do any serious damage to his hand. They decided not even to stitch it. They put the medical glue and steri strips on it, and we were on our way. Of course, that has to stay dry and not picked at for 3 days...thus the big club of a bandage we've got him wrapped in!

This is the part of having little boys that's really going to mess with this Mommy. It's not the blood itself that freaks me out. I know some people are like that. But for me, it's the terror that something seriously bad has just happened to my precious baby!

Unfortunately we haven't even paid the bill from Vanderbilt for Tony's last hospital visit, and now we've got another to add to our stack. I'm still so relieved and thankful that it wasn't anything worse, though, that I haven't really bothered to think about that too much yet!!


No comments: