Monday, September 3, 2007

Happy Labor Day

What a fun 3 day weekend! What a nice break from the ordinary! Sometimes that's all it takes to feel refreshed, just something out of the usual rut of a routine. A little "extra" time to enjoy some of the people we love most.

That's what we did with our weekend. While some may see the long weekend as a chance to get extra work done, I happen to be really thankful for the chance to use those extra moments just to "be" with some special people...

Friday evening we took the boys and met Steve's parents in the park we always played at when we lived with them in Mt. Juliet. We had some fun times on the playground, took a nice walk, and enjoyed some great conversation. I had the opportunity to learn some things about my father-in-law that I never knew before. It was a blessing to have the chance to just talk to him and Steve's mom, too. I look forward to the next opportunity to get really get to know them better...just as people rather than in-laws, if that makes any sense! :) I guess after almost 6 years of marriage, I'm finally starting to relax and quit worrying about making sure I have their approval. I know that sounds dumb, but I guess I'm just dumb like that. After all, their son and I have created the 2 most adorable boys in the world...how could they NOT love me, right?!

We came home Friday night and watched Arthur (Ty's favorite show for the past 2 1/2 years!), as that's just part of our nightly bedtime routine. Tony actually watched with us for the first time, so that was fun. He talked the entire time, but he sat still. And that was a first, too! That wild child doesn't sit still to watch anything on TV...yeah, yeah, I guess that's good and all, but it sure has always been nice to get that 30 minute break TV could provide when it was just Tyler! Bad Mommy, bad! :)

After we got the boys to bed, Steve and I spent some time playing one of our favorite video games. How romantic, huh? It actually can be, though, cause we played a racing game...and those of you who know me at all know that cars kinda "get my motor runnin." Hehe! Seriously, we had a nice, fun night together! I'm glad we put off doing the things that probably should have been done in order to just enjoy some silly fun together. That's really good for a relationship and so easily squeezed from our busy lives and stressful days.

Amanda and I spent the day out together Saturday. We shopped and had lunch. And periodically called the men to make sure they were being good, as they were wonderful enough to keep the boys with them while we were out. How perfect that we have sons, huh? They get to hang with the daddies while we ladies do girl stuff for the day!! Manda and I had a great time!! We've GOT to make sure we get out alone together more often. We spent the day making fun plans for what is about to become a preschool in my home rather than just kids running around all day. More about that later, though, cause I haven't addressed all my parents yet about the amazing changes in the works!

You can all be in prayer for that, though, for a smooth transition to what I wholehearted hope to create in our home for "my" kids. For now, I'll just say that I've always known I wanted to be a teacher. I've always thought I'd teach highschool or college, but God is continually opening my eyes to the potential I have to be a "real" teacher here and now, where HE has placed me. And to be quite honest, I actually feel like if I can pull this off it might BE my life's work. This may not be the waiting ground. This may be IT! I am sooo excited and will no doubt be talking more about it as it all unfolds! (Believe me, I'm even more shocked than you are...but I do serve a God who can do ANYTHING thru ANYONE!)

Okay, so, the weekend. Saturday night we had dinner at Amanda and Darrell's house. Then Sunday morning they picked us up, and we all went to church together. I got to spend the whole day with my best buddies...and the night, actually. Yep, we played highschool and had a sleepover! How fun! We put the kids to bed and watched scary movies till we couldn't keep our eyes open any longer. We didn't make it to sunrise like we could back in highschool though! Go figure! :) And I sure did need my nice long nap this afternoon. Man, I'm getting old!

Now it's bedtime for the boys again. And the long weekend is winding down. Time to be a responsible adult again. I've got a lot to do tonight to get ready for a new week. Normally at this point I begin to wish I'd spent more time doing the "important" stuff during my weekend so I could relax before it all starts over. But tonight I'm just thankful. I really enjoyed taking the time to nourish all of these important relationships this weekend. I think it was a beautiful way to spend our "extra" time.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so jealous. I wish we could hang out with you guys like that. I wish I had friends that would spend the night and watch movies with us...wait...I do...I just don't have a husband who would enjoy it. Glad t hear you had a good time this weekend and can't wait to hear what you have planned for the kiddos. Wish I could have gone on your girls day out! :(

Unknown said...

It was very fun! We'll have to do it again soon! Li you're always welcome anytime! We can stick Bri somewhere and I'm sure she'd sleep! Its nice to hang out and pretend to be young again! ; )

Caron said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Can't wait to hear more about your plans for the little ones!